BMW 5 Series (E60 / E61) – This model is already seen as the “old five”. After all, the car is worth attention, especially the 3-liter diesel engine.
- Years of production: 2003-2010
- Engines: benz. 2.0-5.0 (170-507 hp), diesels 2.0-3.0 (163-286 hp)
- Versions: sed, kmb
- Length / wheelbase: 484/288 cm, width / height: 185/150 cm, luggage compartment: sed 520 l, KMb 500-1560 l
BMW 5 series (E60 / E61) – BODY FUNCTIONALITY
The car is well protected against corrosion and, despite its age, provides surprisingly high driving comfort. The problem is the large supply of damaged cars. The trick is to find among them one that has been repaired in accordance with art and will serve for a long time. In cars after a facelift, you can meet the Night Vision system or the HUD head-up display.
BMW 5 Series (E60 / E61) – ENGINES
Hardly anyone wants to buy a petrol version and drive on expensive fuel. Buyers usually choose between LPG or diesel cars. In the first case, we recommend models from before the facelift with the M54 engine, which has indirect injection and hydraulic valve clearance compensation. In the range of diesel, the best is the 530d, or possibly the weaker 525d (both 6-cylinder). 520d is economical, but in this heavy model, it is not thrilling.
BMW 5 Series (E60 / E61) – EMERGENCY
In most cases, the buyer will struggle with wear and tear, not failures resulting from underdevelopment.
You can buy cheap, and make a lot of money: a new turbocharger, clutch, injectors and suspension renovation will be useful. Prepare 5-10 thousand. zloty.
- How to recognize a facelift version? It’s easiest at night – red stripes glow in the rear lamps. In the old model, the glass control panels are located in the upper part of the door, and in the newer model – on the extension of the armrest, in the middle of the door.
- As with the 3 series, xDrive all-wheel drive lowers the value of the old car as it generates additional service costs.
BMW 5 Series (E60 / E61) – THE MOST POPULAR DRIVE UNITS – TECHNICAL DATA
|Displacement||1995 cm 3||2494 cm 3||2497 cm 3||4398 cm 3||1995 cm 3||1995 cm 3||2993 cm 3||2993 cm 3|
|Power||170 hp||192 hp||218 hp||333 hp||177 hp||197 hp||218 hp||272 KM|
|Torque||210 Nm||245 Nm||250 Nm||450 Nm||350 Nm||400 Nm||500 Nm||560 Nm|
|Acceleration 0-100 km / h||8.7 pp||7.9 seconds||7.5 seconds||5.8 seconds||8.3 seconds||7.6 seconds||7.1 s||6.5 seconds|
|Speed||224 km / h||238 km / h||245 km / h||250 km / h||231 km / h||237 km / h||245 km / h||250 km / h|
|Average consumption fuel||6.7 l / 100 km||9.4 l / 100 km||8.5 l / 100 km||10.9 l / 100 km||5.1 l / 100 km||6.2 l / 100 km||6.9 l / 100 km||6.7 l / 100 km|
BMW 5 Series (E60 / E61) – MODEL HISTORY
2003 BMW E60 premiere
2004 E61 (station wagon) production starts
2005 debut of 550i (367 hp) and sports BMW M5 (507 hp)
2007 modernization including renewal of the engine range
2010 end of production BMW E60 / E61
TYPICAL DEFECTS AND REPAIR COSTS
- Embossed front suspension – The front wheels are guided by a multi-link aluminum suspension.
- Problems with air bellows – Some station wagons have a “pneumatic” rear axle. The bellows and compressor fail.
- Timing Chain Stretch – 2.0 N47 diesel has a non-permanent timing drive that is located on the clutch side.
- Damage to the xDrive – The transfer case may become unsealed, the positioner or the bearings may fail.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
+ Equipment and mechanics that have not gotten old.
+ An exceptionally large range of engine versions.
+ Engine work culture and driving comfort.
– The prices of used cars are still exorbitant.
– High real mileage of many E60.
– The risk of high repair bills.
A copy of the M54 gasoline engine or the M57 diesel engine. Rear-wheel drive will be a safer choice than xDrive.
WATCH OUT FOR
The cheapest cars – usually require a lot of investment. 2 liters N47 diesel and xDrive without a service history.