- Years of production: 2005-2012
- Engines: benz. 2.0-3.5 (152-273 hp), diesel 2.2 (136-177 hp)
- Versions: SUV
- Length / wheelbase: 433-462 (US version) / 256-266 cm, width / height: 182/169 cm, luggage compartment: 450-1470 l
Toyota RAV4 3. Gen – BODY FUNCTIONALITY
In Europe, only the 5-seater RAV4 was offered. An extended 7-seater version was also available in the US and selected other markets. A characteristic feature of the model is the rear flap tilted to the side and the spare wheel suspended on it (in the X version it is not at all because the manufacturer offered a repair kit instead). The rear seats deserve praise – they are individually adjustable and fold flat.
Toyota RAV4 3. Gen – ENGINES
The basic power unit is the 2.0 VVT-i gasoline engine. After the facelift, it was replaced by the 2.0 Valvematic with advanced valve control. Interestingly, it causes fewer problems than the older one, because it does not use engine oil. Diesel is a high-risk purchase. In fact, it is one not very successful 2.2 D-4D engine, but in different power versions.
Toyota RAV4 3. Gen – EMERGENCY
The weakest point of this model is the diesel, in which the cylinder liners sit. After the facelift, it is supposedly better, but investing in this version will always be roulette.
You can complain about high car prices and expensive parts. Diesel servicing is a drama. But choosing the gasoline version frees the user from most of the problems. Note – we do not recommend the installation of LPG installations.
2.2 diesel is the cheapest, but we already know why. Better not to look for an opportunity, but to buy a gasoline version without LPG.
- Impractical equipment: the top-of-the-range X version does not have a spare wheel mounted on the flap. Instead, it got expensive run-flat tires.
- Many cars only have front-wheel drive. In more expensive versions with 4×4 In cars with 4×4 drive, a plate clutch is responsible for attaching the rear. They can be locked with a button.
- The versions from the US market have an extended wheelbase.
THE MOST POPULAR DRIVE UNITS – TECHNICAL DATA
|ENGINE||2.0 VVT-i||2.0 Valvematic||3.5 V6||2.2 D-4D||2.2 D-4D||2.2 D-CAT|
|Displacement||1998 cm 3||1987 cm 3||3500 cm 3||2231 cm 3||2231 cm 3||2231 cm 3|
|Power||152 hp||158 hp||273 hp||136 hp||150 hp||177 hp|
|Torque||194 Nm||198 Nm||333 Nm||310 Nm||340 Nm||400 Nm|
|Acceleration 0-100 km / h||10.6 seconds||10.5 seconds||8.7 pp||10.5 seconds||10.0 s||9.3 seconds|
|Speed||185 km / h||185 km / h||200 km / h||180 km / h||190 km / h||200 km / h|
2005 debut RAV4 III in two body variants: European (short) and American (long wheelbase)
2006 market debut
2009 modest facelift
2010 “large” facelift, incl. Brand New Front
2012 RAV4 IV premiere
TYPICAL DEFECTS AND REPAIR COSTS
- Pitting in the aluminum diesel block
The problem is evidenced by the “disappearing” coolant in the 2.2 D-4D.
- Oil burning by the 2.0 VVT-i gasoline engine
The problem is particularly acute in units manufactured before 2010.
- Steering gear wear.
Noise and uneven resistance are evidence of the beginning of the end of the gear.
- Problems with the soot filter on the 2.2 D-CAT
Despite the special soot burnout system (fifth injector), the DPF is not reliable.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
+ Practical interior and large luggage compartment.
+ Durable 2.0 Valvematic engine (restyled) and an equally solid driveline.
+ Slight loss of value.
– Problematic diesel engines.
– High prices for used copies.
– Uninteresting interior design (crude styling, hard, breaking, plastic).
RAV4 gasoline after rejuvenating treatment. The younger the car – the better (there is no problem with burning oil, among others).
WATCH OUT FOR
Diesel before the 2010 facelift. The 177hp version fails more often, but there are also reports of failures of the weaker variety.