Volkswagen Golf 6 – Although it is not a completely new model, but an improved Golf V, the “six” deserves recognition for its solid 1.6 and 2.0 TDI diesel.
- Years of production: 2008-2012
- Engines: benz. 1.4-2.5 (80-271 hp), diesels 1.6-2.0 (90-170 hp)
- Versions: htb 3d, 5d, kmb, cab
- Length / wheelbase: 420-454 / 258 cm, width / height: 178 / 148-151 cm, luggage compartment: htb 350-1305 l, kmb 505-1495 l, cab 250 l
The starting point for the creation of the Golf VI was the platform of the “five”. The spaciousness of the interior and the suspension structure (multi-link at the rear) have not changed. On the other hand, the quality of the finishing materials has been improved and the interior has been modernized
Half of the offers are 1.6 and 2.0 TDI diesel, which combine durability with low fuel consumption. Gasoline engines are mainly TSI units. 1.4 / 1.6 naturally aspirated are rare. An interesting fact is the 1.6 BiFuel version with a factory LPG installation.
TSI engines cause the most problems – they can burn large amounts of oil (over 1 l / 1000 km), and they have unstable timings. This does not apply to the GTI “Edition 35” and R versions which have older generation engines (EA113) with a timing belt. Coolant pumps or DSG boxes are not an example of durability, as they begin to jolt with time.
Volkswagen Golf 6 – COSTS
Spare parts are cheap and readily available, so basic service is not expensive. The situation changes when parts of the powertrain need to be repaired.
Volkswagen Golf 6 – WORTH KNOWING
- From a technical point of view, the Golf VI is in the “top five” after a thorough modernization.
- The premiere of the “six” was, in a way, forced by … the competition, including the Astra IV, which made its debut in 2009. VW could not allow its hit to be overshadowed by its rivals, and the Golf V, offered since 2003, could have a problem keeping up with them.
- The engine range was kept in the spirit of downsizing – the reduction in displacement was compensated by the turbo.
THE MOST POPULAR DRIVE UNITS – TECHNICAL DATA
|ENGINE||1.2 of the TSI||1.4 16V||1.4 TSI||1.6||2.0 TSI (GTI)||2.0 TSI (R)||1.6 TDI||2.0 TDI||2.0 TDI|
|Displacement||1197 cm 3||1390 cm 3||1390 cm 3||1595 cm 3||1984 cm 3||1984 cm 3||1598 cm 3||1968 cm 3||1968 cm 3|
|Fuel||petrol, turbo||petrol||petrol, turbo||petrol||petrol, turbo||petrol, turbo||turbodiesel||turbodiesel||turbodiesel|
|Power||105 hp||80 KM||122 hp||102 KM||211 hp||270 KM||105 hp||140 hp||170 hp|
|Torque||175 Nm||132 Nm||200 Nm||148 Nm||280 Nm||350 Nm||250 Nm||320 Nm||350 Nm|
|Acceleration 0-100 km / h||10.6 seconds||13.9 seconds||9.5 seconds||11.3 seconds||6.9 seconds||5.7 s||11.3 seconds||9.4 seconds||8.1 pp|
|Speed||190 km / h||172 km / h||200 km / h||188 km / h||240 km / h||250 km / h||189 km / h||209 km / h||222 km / h|
|Average consumption fuel||5.7 l / 100 km||6.4 l / 100 km||6.2 l / 100 km||7.1 l / 100 km||7.3 l / 100 km||8.5 l / 100 km||4.5 l / 100 km||4.8 l / 100 km||5.3 l / 100 km|
Volkswagen Golf 6 – MODEL HISTORY
2008 Golf VI premiere
2009 The offer is completed by a Golf Estate, a sporty GTI, the economical and fast diesel GTD and the flagship R with 4Motion drive
2011 Introduction of a Cabriolet version
2012 premiere of the Golf VII
2013 End of production of the Golf VI Variant
Volkswagen Golf 6 – TYPICAL DEFECTS AND REPAIR COSTS
- Oil consumption in TSI engines
The defect most often manifests itself in the 1.8 / 2.0 TSI. Repair is the replacement of piston rings.
- Stretching the timing chain
When inspecting cars with 1.2 / 1.4 TSI engines, pay attention to the metallic noise.
- Camshaft adjuster on 1.4 TSI
The alignment of the camshaft sprocket is not very durable.
- Repairs of DSG gearboxes
The spectrum of possible faults is wide. Even oil and clutch changes are expensive.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
+ Improved durability compared to the previous model (especially for diesel).
+ Well-finished and soundproofed interior.
+ Low prices for basic spare parts.
– The durability of gasoline engines is too low.
– DSG repair costs, risk of theft.
– The prices of well-kept copies with good equipment are still high.
The best choice is the 1.6 and 2.0 TDI diesel, which is reflected in their prices. Gas engines rather without turbocharging.
WATCH OUT FOR
Cars without documented mileage and service or TSI engines with LPG installations are delayed ignition bombs.