Volkswagen Sharan I – This model is terrible in the reliability statistics, but it is still worth recommending. Sharan is not expensive to operate.
- Years of production: 1995-2010
- Engines: benz. 1.8-2.0 (115-204 hp), diesels 1.9-2.0 (90-150 hp)
- Versions: minivan
- Length / wheelbase: 284 cm, width / height: s181 / 173 cm, luggage compartment: 255-700-2610 l
Volkswagen Sharan I – BODY FUNCTIONALITY
We remind you of the existence of this old model because you can buy it really cheaply and still have real value in use. If someone is looking for a spacious car to the city or for short routes – this is an excellent proposition. The functional interior can accommodate 5, 6 or 7 people (depending on the version), the seats fold easily and the luggage compartment is extremely easy to arrange.
Volkswagen Sharan I – ENGINES
You can try to be original and buy a strong version of the 2.8 VR6 gasoline, but it is an old car that will never be a youngtimer, so it is better if at least it turns out to be cheap to run. We recommend the proven 1.9 diesel (in any power version) or any 4-cylinder petrol version (preferably imported in perfect condition “under LPG”).
A lot of minor faults, but the maintenance costs are usually not too high.
Low purchase price, low spare parts prices, hassle-free repairs.
- Most of the cars are approved for 7 people, but only 5 seats. Two additional luggage seats are often sold separately.
- Broken loudspeaker housings in the door usually do not indicate an accidental past. They are so unhappily placed that passengers “kick” at them when disembarking.
- After 2000, all versions have 6 gears.
Volkswagen Sharan I – THE MOST POPULAR DRIVE UNITS – TECHNICAL DATA
|ENGINE||1.8T 20V||2.0 8V||2.8 VR6||1.9 TDI||1.9 TDI||1.9 TDI||2.0 TDI|
|Displacement||1781 cm 3||1984 cm 3||2792 cm 3||1896 cm 3||1896 cm 3||1896 cm 3||1968 cm 3|
|Torque||150 hp||115 hp||174 hp||90 KM||115 hp||130 hp||140 hp|
|Torque||220 Nm||170 Nm||235 Nm||210 Nm||310 Nm||310 Nm||310 Nm|
|Acceleration 0-100 km / h||10.9 seconds||15.2 pp||11.0 s||19.3 seconds||13.7 seconds||12.8 seconds||12.2 s|
|Speed||199 km / h||177 km / h||199 km / h||160 km / h||181 km / h||188 km / h||192 km / h|
|Average consumption fuel||10.2 l / 100 km||10.4 l / 100 km||12.0 l / 100 km||6.6 l / 100 km||7.2 l / 100 km||6.2 l / 100 km||6.6 l / 100 km|
1995 presentation of Sharan and twin under the name of Ford Galaxy
1996 third brother arrives – Seat Alhambra
2000 serious facelift
2004 visual refresh
2006 Ford disconnects from cooperation and presents its own Galaxy model
2010 new Sharan / Alhambra model
TYPICAL DEFECTS AND REPAIR COSTS
- Chassis corrosion – This is a common problem, but fortunately not all units are affected. Imported, garage cars are generally in good condition.
- Failures of the fuel heating system – Few people know that old Sharans diesel usually have an engine heater that activates in winter (reacts to a drop in temperature). If it is broken, fuel consumption increases sharply.
- The worn – 1.9 TDI bushings after 2005 have a problem with the bushings. After buying a used car, it is worth replacing it prophylactically.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
+ Very practical body.
+ A wide range of cheap parts.
+ Large supply on the secondary market.
+ Low operating costs and low value loss.
– Problems with corrosion of older copies.
– Failed 2.0 TDI diesels (they have problems with the head and unit injectors)
An old gasoline version in perfect condition “under gas”, or a well-kept 1.9 TDI diesel in any version.
WATCH OUT FOR
Sharany 2.0 TDI. These versions have problems with the head and lubrication and the serial particle filter.